Rats and mice are small and quick, so often you never actually see a rat or mouse until an infestation is really bad. Learning the warning signs that tell you rodents have infested your home or business is a great way to help keep your home safe.
Look out for these signs of infestation:
- Droppings are probably the most obvious sign of an invasion. Many people call after finding droppings, and our technicians can help you determine whether they’re from a recent issue or an old infestation. These pests also leave urine stains that aren’t easily visible under normal light but can be seen under UV light.
- One of the most common calls we get is when someone has heard scratching, clawing, or squeaking in the walls, attic, basement, or crawlspace of their home. The types of sounds you hear can help determine exactly what the pest might be. You may also notice your dog or cat paying special attention to certain areas of the floor or wall.
- Look out for nests of shredded materials, as well as caches of food, in dark spots around your home. Rats and mice love dark and secluded small spaces, so they typically look for those areas to make nests.
- After these pests have run along the same path for a while, they start to form rub marks. These are a result of their oily fur, and get darker the more times a rat or mouse has used the same route. You might be able to spot footprints or tail marks in dusty spaces as well.
- Rats and mice chew, a lot. If you see gnawed wood, plastic, or even pipes, it’s possible a rat or mouse is the cause. They will chew through almost anything to access food, water, or shelter.
How to Get Rid of a Rodent Infestation
If you see any of these signs of rats or mice, please give us a call. Rodents are not a pest that you should try to exterminate yourself – do it yourself methods can be a risk to your health, it’s difficult for someone without experience to know the extent of the problem, and not fully fixing it or waiting too long can allow these pests more time to cause damage to your home. Rats and mice carry and spread diseases, can cause allergies, they bring ticks, mites, and fleas indoors, and they eat and contaminate food. Trained and licensed professional exterminators, like our team at Halt Pest Control, are the best way to resolve a rodent issue with minimal damage to your home – and is far less stressful than DIY methods.
We are expecting this winter to bring more mice and rat concerns than before, so we’re offering a discount on new services to protect your home from rodents. This month only, get $30 off any New All Seasons service with Rodent Coverage, our most comprehensive home service for rodents, or get $15 off any New 90 Day Rodent service. Check out more current specials here!
Please call (503) 822-6555 or send us a message for booking!